Wednesday, November 24, 2010

What is a Cricut?

A Cricut is an electronic, personal die-cutting system. It requires the use of cartridges to program images, shapes, or fonts for cutting. The technology allows for you to cut layers and images for everything to cards, scrapbooks, bulletinboards, and more. You simply plug your cartridge in as shown below or you can purchase the Cricut Design Studio. The computer software allows you to manipulate the images in size and shape. It allows you 'weld' your letters together so you are not always cutting out individual letters. This is a great time saver not only when it comes to peeling off the letters, but also when glueing them down to your project.

I know this is starting to sound a little like an info-mercial, but I just want to share the tools I have to make the projects possible. This is the Cricut Expression - it cuts up to 12x12 and 12x24 inch projects
I also have the original machine that cuts 6x12. I convinced my cute
husband I needed to upgrade because it would 'cut' the time I spent on
my projects down considerably. I have to admit there are times when I have had
both machines plugged in and cutting. (Trust me, it's gotten me an eye roll or two)
With the help of little fingers (my adorable twin daughters)
helping me peel the images off the mats, I have been able to get some of my work done
in much less time. And it's a bonding experience - the girls still love to help
Mom at this point in time. I love it!!

Just a few of the cartridges I have used on some of my projects.
You do have to buy them individually. I always watch
for sales. They have some great ones...but I have found the best deals on e-bay.
I would by no means consider myself an expert on e-bay, but I do
have my system and refuse to pay over a certain price. I also
have a great source who doesn't mind sharing her cartridges.
Once again...thanks Mom!! :)
Here is the Cricut in action, cutting my latest project.
It's time to get rid of the boring birthday poster and make it a
little more festive in my room with a birthday cupcake wall.
I will be posting it later, when it's completed. It is an idea I 'borrowed' from
When it comes time to post, I will be sure to give credit the inspiration. :)

I promise the next post will actually include a project...it's time to get this baby off the ground! :)





No comments: