Thursday, November 25, 2010

Welcome to my Classroom...

Upon entering my classroom, this is what you see:
The shape of my classroom is unique to any other I've seen. You enter into a long, approximately 10 foot narrow hallway, before it opens up into the big cinderblock box. This hangs in the long hallway where the kids line up whenever we leave the classroom.
Most images and the title were cut using the Life is a Beach cartridge. School items were cut with either Cursive or Locker Talk. Looking at the picture now, I'm going to to have to do some sort of an addendum to highlight some of the items. I tried to choose items to illustrate each of the core subjects: reading (the crab with the book), writing (the notebook paper and pencil floating in the waves), math (the whiteboard with multiplication problems in the waves), science (beaker in the waves), and social studies (the globe in the waves). The whiteboard contains 3 of the multiplication problems that are difficult for students to remember (like 6x7=42, 7x8=56). My hope is that as my little friends line up day after day seeing those problems, they will eventually be committed to memory. I did draw and cut the the palm tree trunk on my own. I didn't like the skinny trunk the cartridge provided, so I improvised. For the sand I used sandpaper. One word of caution - it is not easy to glue paper on to sandpaper. I used superglue which took longer than the norm to dry because sandpaper is not absorbant and seeps through the detail lines of your image. All I can say is be patient!! I was out of glue dots in my tape runner...that may be a better choice.
After the holiday, I will take a few more pictures to highlight some of the details!!
Happy Turkey Day!!

No comments: