Monday, November 29, 2010

It's all about the Schedule...

This blog pays tribute to the working mom...who not only works a full day outside the home managing any number of tasks but returns home to more demands. I have been home less than 3 hours and in that time have: helped 2 second graders with math homework, cleaned out their folders, and listened to them each read, changed the linens on my bed, picked up my 7th grader from basketball practice, made and served a homemade meal, put the lights and ribbon garland on my Christmas tree, supervised chores, and am now on my 4th load of laundry. I am exhausted to say the least. But bed time for the kids is at least an hour away. In that time we will decorate the tree, welcome Dad home from a long day's work, brush teeth, say prayers, and listen to at least 20 different attempts to avoid actually getting in bed. All in a day's work right? The great thing is, I will do it all again tomorrow, varying slightly. Somehow amongst all the chaos there is happiness, laughter, and love!!

It's interesting how my work life often mirrors my home life. I am constantly running in about 3 different directions at any given time, attempting to be everything to everyone, and managing to get things done in the midst of it all. One thing that helps me in my classroom is my picture schedule. This is something I developed last year.

My classroom is a self-contained special education room for 3rd-5th grade students with mild/moderate disabilities, ranging from learning disabilities to autism to mild cognitive impairments. I am responsible for delivering each grade level's core instruction to each student. We are very busy and every minute is scheduled to the fullest.

To help my students anticipate and prepare for what our day will look like I made the schedule below. It helps them see everything from subject matter to their special classes (art, health, PE, and music) to the related services they receive.

I used the Learning Curve cartridge to cut all lettering. I 'welded' all words together using the Design Studio software. It is all cut and attached to cardstock, laminated, and magnetized. (I purchased magnet strips at Walmart and my local hardware store.) I made 3 name magnets per student, as well as magnets with various times on them.

The math symbols were all cut from the Learning Curve cartridge. The open book was cut using the Cursive Cartridge and the pencil was cut from My Community.

Both the globe and the beaker were cut using the Curisve cartridge.


The earphones were cut from the My Community cartridge. I used the Cursive cartridge to cut the computer and the pencil is from Locker Talk.

At the time I made my schedule, I didn't have access to all of the cartridges I do now, so I used some clipart. All clipart is courtesy of Microsoft.

I used My Community to cut the police officer. The fire truck was cut using the Everyday Paper Doll cartridge. "Drill" is one I added this year because we have either a fire, tornado, lockdown, or evacuation drill once a month. Since my little friends need warning to ease their anxiety over the drills, it serves as a reminder for me to talk to them about the upcoming drill and helps them know where it will fit into our day.


All of the extras: the bookstack, clef (music - I hope that's right??!!), and brushes were cut using the Cursive cartridge.
The clipart is again curtesy of Microsoft. All the balls were cut using Sports Mania.
Locker Talk was used to cut the grade level signs. I cut these because I teach math 3 times a day and lunches vary. This way the students know by the color and wording what applies to them. I mentioned before that everything is color coded. That goes for subjects and grade levels. 3rd grade is green, 4th grade red, and 5th grade is blue.
I am planning, but haven't yet gotten to, making picture day and assembly pieces. They will come...one day.
I also had a "one of these things is not like the others" moment when I was looking at the first picture. After the birthday cupcake wall I mentioned, my next project may be magnetized dates to coordinate with the picture schedule...more to come on that one.

2 comments:

THE FAMILY OF OAK said...

Hi Alexa, it's Melissa. I found you from Kristina's blog. You look like you are SUCH a fun teacher :) Hope things are well. (I wish I had a cricut lol)

Alexa said...

Thanks for saying hi! I owe Kristina for linking me to her blog...I think that is where all my traffic has come from.
I love both my Cricuts! ;)