Thursday, January 12, 2012

Winter Craft...

I wanted to do something fun this year for my students to give as a 'holiday' (CHRISTMAS) gift to their parents. My cute mother-in-law gave us a subscription to Family Fun magazine and it has come in handy on more than one occasion...this was no exception. As I thumbed through it I found this.

I started drinking all the Vitamin Water I could stand and collecting my son's Gatorade bottles so the kids could make these adorable snowmen:I made these samples with the help of my daughters to show the students what they would be making. I also wanted to see what sort of difficulties little fingers would encounter. My girls had no problem, but students with sensory issues did run into a problem or two.

The basic process is like paper mache, using tissue paper and Elmer's glue mixed with water. Some of them had little trouble at all, others needed some help getting started. A few got bored halfway through and wanted to stop, while others were having a hayday getting dirty and sticky. Then there was my favorite response. One of my little friends took one look at the demonstration and said, "That is disturbing, I'm not touching that." So I came up with a compromise, I smeared the glue and he placed the paper.

All in all, they turned out well. Check out the individuality of each snowman, just like my friends...UNIQUE!

2 comments:

neuroticmom said...

What a cute idea. Now I wish I hadn't thrown all those bottles away. :)

Just Kristina... said...

They're really cute! What a great idea. I bet the kids loved making them. I love how they all have their own little personalities. So fun!