Saturday, January 14, 2012

It's About Time...Right?!

I've only been mentioning it since about July, so here it is. My 2011-2012 school year theme:
Hey, now you're all All-Star...Not just all-stars at sports, but also all-star readers, writers, mathematicians, historians, and scientists. I tried to incorporate academics with their favorite sports.

Yes, it was partially inspired by the Smash Mouth song, thanks to Shrek. But my motivation was to make something gender neutral that would inspire and appease ALL the boys in my room. I am pleased to say I did just that!It turned out even better than I planned. I sketched it out one day in a meeting, fearful I might not be able to bring to justice my idea. But I actually think I may have out done myself!

Here is my calendar:
Each month's name is cut in colors that remind you of the season, holiday, or general feel of that month. I used the Varisity Cricut Lite cartridge for the months and lettering of the "Hey, now..."
sign. Each of the different sports balls were cut from the Sports Mania cartridge, using the Designer Calendar cartridge for the numbers. All holiday, birthday, and extra cards were cut from the Designer Calendar cartridge as well.

Here is a close up of the welcome sign that hangs in the 10 foot hallway you pass through to enter my room.
Most of the details were cut from the Sports Mania cartridge, with a few additional elements coming from the Basketball, Everyday Paperdoll, and All Sports (for the All-Star writing) cartridges.

I also added a star (see the first picture) with each student's picture cut in silhouette (rectangular pics didn't look good) and name. I printed their names in a Varsity font (I found free online) on clear labels and placed under each individual pic. The students love seeing their pics on the wall. They were anxious when we received a new student for his pic to be added to the All-Star wall.

Next up, my birthday wall...

No comments: