Wednesday, December 1, 2010

One of my Favorites...

Here is one of my favorite things I developed with the use of my Cricut. Over the summer I had to give some serious thought to how I was going to keep students actively engaged in learning while I worked with 3 grade levels. For the last 2 years I had only juggled 2 grade levels. I was going from having a large number of 5th graders who were somewhat independent, to a larger group of 3rd graders. This was a test to my creativity as I tried to come up with meaningful, independent work they could complete that would enhance concepts we were working on.

My mom is always kind enough to send ideas my way, so I used one as a springboard. Over the next few blogs I will attempt to illustrate what 'Centers' look like in my room.
I use my whiteboard for students to show what work they have completed. It is a fun way for me to quickly see who deserves a little free time and who needs to get to work.


Each student has a 'name tag' that stays on the board. I used different images from the Life is a Beach cartridge. I assigned an animal or beach item to each student. This same image is found on their take home folder as well. At their desks, stored in a quart sized ziploc baggy, are 10-4x4 inch cards, one illustrating each center. When the students have completed an individual center, they place the corresponding card on the board. At the end of the day, students 'cash' in their center cards. Each center is worth a nickel and students have to complete a minimum of 5 in order to be paid. The students count the cards in front of me or my aide. Then they have to show us the easiest way to make that amount of money using the fewest coins. Students are working on skills such as counting by 5s, multiplying, money name and value identification, and counting money -- all those skills that need constant repetition in order to be retained.
Each student has a designated to day to count all the money earned in his or her bank. That is the same day assigned for cashing in for prizes. More on that later.
A few suggestions I would make regarding things I learned:
  1. If I were to remake them, I would make them smaller. Probably 3x3.
  2. The adhesive on the magnet strips I bought at Wal-Mart stick better to lamination than those I bought from Menards. (Thought I was saving money -- it's worth it to spend a few extra pennies)
  3. About 2 months into school, I had to devise a way to identify each individual student's set of cards, making it easier to find and identify MIA cards. I put a matching sticker on the back of each card that is specific to an individual student. If I were to do it all over, I would place them on before laminating.

The nice thing about this, I can add centers or change them as I deem necessary. After the first of the year, I will be adding a handwriting center. Printing for some of my friends and cursive for others. The kids are eager to start the cursive.

No comments: